Oh, how soon they forget.
I was having a conversation with my husband and his grandmother, when the discussion turned to my weight loss. I got halfway into my usual spiel about how wonderful DDP Yoga is, when my husband corrected me, and said that I had actually lost the weight by running. I can understand where his confusion came from; I have been training for a half-marathon for the last three months, and it might seem to someone who hasn’t been measuring and logging everything as meticulously as I have that all that running contributed to the weight I lost. However, despite his insistence to the contrary, he is wrong. The weight came off and then I started running more frequently.
Like I said, I documented everything, so figuring out what actually contributed to my weight loss wasn’t too hard.
- I started DDP Yoga on April 9th (as per the upload date on my Day 0 pictures)
- I reached 155 lbs (my goal weight) on July 11th, or Day 93.
- Between April 9th and July 11th, I did DDPY 62 times
- I only ran or used the elliptical 17 times between those two dates
- I didn’t even start my half-marathon training until July 21st, prior to that my average run was only about 20 minutes
So there you go! The weight came off because of DDP Yoga. It’s also worth noting that before DDP Yoga, I couldn’t get up or down the stairs without wincing in pain, and my physical therapist told me in January of this year that it would be at least a year before I could consider doing any running. Even if running had contributed meaningfully to my weight loss – it didn’t – I wouldn’t have been able to do it without DDP Yoga’s rehabilitation of my knees. As for that rehabilitation, my marathon training was okayed by my sports doctor, and my physical therapist said I was well-above average in flexibility of my joints.
Also, there’s this:
Sorry if this post seems unusually defensive in tone. I owe everything to DDP Yoga, and I get a little Mama Bear when people criticize it, or try to place the credit it’s due elsewhere!
- The Long-Term Effects of Weight-Loss Surgery (everydayhealth.com)
- 7 Things I Would Tell a Newbie (myddpyogajourney.com)
- Got Knee Pain? (ascentpt.wordpress.com)
- Misdiagnosis – IT Band vs. PFPS (fuelledbyveggies.wordpress.com)
- Injury Prevention: Supplementary Strength Training – Quadriceps (sarahliddanephysiotherapy.wordpress.com)
- Yoga Yay!! (sunfunfit.wordpress.com)
- It’s All in the Hips: Anatomy of a Knee Injury (thatlovelylife.com)
- A Power Yoga Experience (powery06a.wordpress.com)
- Race Report: Milton Half Marathon (barefootjourney.org)